OB/GYN malpractice occurs when an obstetrician, medical facility, or gynecological staff member fails to provide the proper standard of care and causes injury. Obstetrician malpractice can endanger the lives of a mother and her unborn child.
The Miami medical malpractice lawyers of Lavent Law Personal Injury Lawyer hold medical professionals accountable when they put you or your baby’s health or life in jeopardy. We’ve recovered millions of dollars for families in Miami, FL.
- 1 How Are Miami Medical Malpractice Attorneys Can Help Your Family
- 2 Common Examples of Obstetrician Malpractice in Miami
- 3 Injuries Caused by Obstetrician Malpractice in Florida
- 4 Recovering Compensation for Damages Caused by Obstetrician Malpractice
- 5 Pursuing a Medical Malpractice Case Against an Obstetrician in South Florida
- 6 Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Medical Malpractice Law Firm in Miami
How Are Miami Medical Malpractice Attorneys Can Help Your Family
Medical malpractice claims are complicated. Pursuing these claims requires a thorough understanding of Florida laws and a great deal of time and skill.
At Lavent Law Personal Injury Lawyer, our Miami medical malpractice attorneys have extensive experience with claims involving medical errors. We’ve recovered life-changing awards for victims of medical malpractice. We will utilize our considerable resources to achieve a positive outcome for your case.
When you hire our legal team, you can expect us to:
- Conduct a thorough investigation, including obtaining medical records, witness statements, and other evidence
- Work with your physicians and other medical experts to determine the extent of your injuries and damages
- Work with you to document your financial losses and emotional suffering
- Handle all communications and file all claims with insurance companies
- Prepare a compelling and detailed settlement demand package
- Negotiate for maximum compensation based on the value of your damages
- File a medical malpractice lawsuit if the other parties refuse to negotiate in good faith
Our Miami personal injury lawyers at Lavent Law Personal Injury Lawyer are committed to helping you recover costs for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. We will fight for your rights inside and outside of the courtroom.
Call our law offices to schedule your free consultation with one of our obstetrician malpractice attorneys in Miami, Florida.
Common Examples of Obstetrician Malpractice in Miami
An obstetrician is a doctor with special training in healthcare for women during pregnancy, labor, and delivery. In addition, some obstetricians have specialized training and experience in treating high-risk pregnancies.
Like other healthcare professionals, obstetricians can make medical errors that lead to injuries and death to patients. Whether it is medical negligence, intentional acts, or careless mistakes, the actions of obstetricians can have life-altering results for mothers and infants.
Examples of obstetrician malpractice include, but are not limited to:
- Failure to diagnose or misdiagnosis of prenatal conditions, such as gestational diabetes and pregnancy-induced hypertension (preeclampsia)
- Surgical errors during a C-section
- Failing to diagnose an ectopic or tubal pregnancy
- Negligent use of forceps or a vacuum extractor
- Failing to perform a timely C-section
- Not testing for congenital disorders
- Failing to recognize problems with the placenta or umbilical cord
- Not monitoring the baby’s or mother’s vitals and condition during labor and delivery
- Performing unnecessary surgery
Sadly, negligence committed by an obstetrician can result in long-term impairments and debilitating conditions discussed below.
Injuries Caused by Obstetrician Malpractice in Florida
When a case involves obstetrician negligence, the mother and child could sustain a variety of injuries. Those injuries include:
- Brain injury
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Shoulder dystocia
- Internal bleeding
- Cerebral Palsy
- Soft tissue injuries
- Nerve damage
- Brachial plexus injuries, including Erb’s Palsy and Klumpke’s Palsy
- Skull fractures, brain swelling, and brain hemorrhages
In the worst cases, the mother and/or the infant may not survive birth injuries due to obstetrician malpractice.
Recovering Compensation for Damages Caused by Obstetrician Malpractice
A victim of medical malpractice may receive financial compensation for injuries and other damages caused by a negligent medical provider.
Damages that may be included in a malpractice claim against an obstetrician include:
- Medical bills for the mother and the child to treat injuries or a medical condition caused by the malpractice
- Lost wages for the mother if she is unable to work
- Pain and suffering because of the physical discomfort, mental anguish, and emotional distress caused by the malpractice
- Wrongful death benefits
- Permanent impairments or disabilities sustained by the mother or the infant
- Scarring and disfigurement
In cases involving gross negligence or intentional acts, the court could award punitive damages.
Pursuing a Medical Malpractice Case Against an Obstetrician in South Florida
You must prove all of the legal requirements of malpractice to recover compensation for your damages after an obstetrician error.
Accordingly, you have the burden of proving:
- You and the obstetrician had a doctor-patient relationship
- The physician breached their duty to provide the proper standard of care
- The breach was the direct and proximate cause of injury
- You or your baby sustained damages
You need medical experts to testify as to the duty of care required in your case and how the doctor breached that duty of care. Our legal team works closely with medical experts to show how the obstetrician injured you or your child.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Medical Malpractice Law Firm in Miami
You don’t have to let an obstetrician get away with harming you or your child. Reach out to our office to discuss your case with an experienced Miami obstetrician malpractice attorney. Your initial consultation is free of charge. It does not cost you anything to obtain the legal advice you need to protect your rights and obtain the compensation you deserve.